Which Engine Oil for your MINI? Here's all you need to know.
Scroll down to find the engine oil for you MINI Cooper or MINI Cooper S!
Note: Information below was taken from the MINI USA web site FAQ section:
"If I need to top off my oil between services, is there a specific oil I should use?"
A wise question, my MINI-minded friend. For starters, let us remind you that required maintenance work and service should be performed by your MINI dealership. That said, we suggest you check your engine oil level whenever you fuel up your MINI. If you're low, top off with MINI High Performance Full Synthetic Oil - the very oil we use for scheduled engine oil changes.
The MINI Service Information dated December 2015 recommends the following:
• BMW Longlife-01 5W-30 Full Synthetic for all MINIs produced up to and including Model Year 2015
• BMW Longlife-01 FE 0W-30 Full Synthetic for 2nd generation Model Year 2016
• BMW Longlife-14 FE+ 0W-20 Full Synthetic for 3rd generation Model Year 2016 and later.
Are you a DIY'er? If you're looking to change the oil on your MINI on your own, check out our MINI Cooper Oil Change Maintenance Kits!
MINI Original Engine Oil 5W-30
Used for these models:
2002-2006 R50 Hardtop MINI Cooper
2002-2006 R53 Hardtop MINI Cooper S
2005-2008 R52 Convertible MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2007-2013 R56 Hardtop MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2008-2014 R55 Clubman MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2009-2015 R57 Convertible MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2012-2015 R58 Coupe MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2012-2015 R59 Roadster MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2011-2015 R60 Countryman MINI Cooper and Cooper S
2013-2015 R61 Paceman MINI Cooper and Cooper S
MINI Original Engine Oil 0W-30
MINI Original Engine Oil 0W-20
If MINI High Performance Synthetic Oil is unavailable, we recommend using only the following approved synthetic oils. (For information on checking your engine oil level refer to your vehicle's Owner's Manual.)
If MINI High Performance Synthetic Oil is not available, you can add small quantities of another synthetic oil in between oil changes.
Gen 1 (R50/52/53), 2002-2006 Hardtop and 2005-2008 Convertibles, the Factory approves:
- FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 5W-30 (recommended) and 5W-40, API SM.
Gen 2 (R55/56/57/58/59/60/61) 2007-2015 MINI Models, approved oils are:
- FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 0W-40, 0W-30, 5W-40, 5W-30 (recommended). API SM or higher, ACEA A3/B4.
Gen 2 (R60/61) 2016 Countryman and Paceman Models, the Factory recommends:
- 0W-30 API SM or higher.
Gen 3 (F56/F55) 2014-2015 models, factory recommends
- FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 0W-40, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-40, and SAE 5W-30 (recommended), 5W-20. Approved oil types include BMW Longlife-01 and BMW Longlife-01 FE, API SL or superior grade specification.
Gen 3 (F56/F55/F57/F54) 2016 and newer models, factory recommends
- FULL SYNTHETIC SAE 0W-20 (recommended), 0W-40, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-40, and SAE 5W-30, 5W20. Approved oil types include BMW Longlife-01 and BMW Longlife-01 FE, API SL or superior grade specification.
For MINI Cooper oil change kits, check out our MINI Cooper Oil Change Maintenance Kits!