MINI MANIA SHORT SHIFTER NMD1025
for MINI Cooper and Cooper S, 2004 and later
Download Instructions as PDF for Printing
Mini Mania's Short Shift kit is designed to reduce the shifter throw to enable faster gear shifts. This kit installs underneath the car with no need to disassemble the console and shifter inside the car.
The shifter throw is shortened by lengthening the rod between the pivot point of the shifter and the cable. This shortens the throw for the driver, but increases the throw inside the shifter box. This requires a new dust cover with added clearance included in this kit.
Two areas need to be modified for the increased throw, the bottom dust cover needs to be modified to accept a new aluminum lower box, and the side of the shifter box needs to be notched for clearance. A tube of silicone sealant is included to fully seal the box, if desired.
Some customers have opted to leave off the dust cover as this area under the car is well protected by a full length heat shield.
The Short Shift Kit includes:
* Shifter Extension
* New Dust Cover.
CAUTION:Working under the car can be dangerous - take all necessary precautions to ensure a safe working environment.
1. Lift the car using a lift or jack stands. Make sure the car is secure before you start. Keep in mind, you will need access to the center tunnel.
2. Remove the exhaust system to gain access to the shifter box. You need access to the center tunnel. (Some aftermarket exhaust systems have a center piece which can be removed for adequate access.)
3. Remove the heat shield along the center tunnel.
4. Carefully remove the bottom cover to the shifter box by releasing the tabs on all four sides.
5. The Shifter cable is the longer of the two inside the box. Using firm pressure, pull off the cable from the shifter ball joint. (Releasing the cable can take some effort.)
6. Slip the Shifter extension piece over the factory shifter. Using the appropriate allen wrench, secure the shifter extension. You can add a dab of Loc-tite for piece of mind.
7. Re-attach the shifter cable on the extended shifter rod.
8. From inside the car, place the car in Reverse, check clearance.
9. Also test 5th and 6th Gear (Cooper S).
10. Once adequate clearance is confirmed, you are ready to reassemble.
11. Take the O Rings from the old dust cover and install onto the new cover.
12. Re-install the new dust cover supplied with the kit, confirm that all the tabs lock in place.
13. Check again to make sure all gears are selectable.
14. Re-install the heatshield and exhaust system.
15. After the car is fully reassembled, check to make sure you can shift into all gears.
16. Now you are ready for a test drive!