IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR PERFORMANCE CAMSHAFT INSTALLATION
NME6041, NME6042 & NME6045
The high lift lobes on the this MINI Cooper S performance camshaft may require 'clearancing' with the spark plug tubes. To check the clearance, do the following:
1. After removing the stock camshaft , make sure the bearing surface is clean with plenty of assembly lube. Place the performance cam in the head without the bearing caps.
2. Slowly rotate the camshaft by hand and check to see if the lobes contact the spark plug tubes.
3. If the lobes contact the spark plug tubes, use a marker to mark the contact point on each tube.
4. Remove the camshaft. The following are instructions for increasing clearance for the camshaft . Remember that you need to be able to insert a spark plug socket into the tubes, so DO NOT OVERDO THIS MODIFICATION.
1. Using a small 'ball-pean' type hammer (the round tip), GENTLY tap the marked location to increase clearance. You should only need about 1/16" additional clearance. To ensure you do not overdo the clearancing, you can insert a spark plug socket onto the spark plug.
2. Re-install the camshaft and check clearance.
3. Repeat as necessary.
1. Find a small 'solid' metal rod about 1/2" in diameter, and lay across the mark on the tube (parallel to the camshaft orientation).
2. GENTLY tap the rod until it 'slightly' deforms the tube. To ensure you do not overdo the clearancing, you can insert a spark plug socket onto the spark plug.
4. Re-install the camshaft and check clearance.